Search Within Results
Common Core: Standard
Common Core: ELA
Common Core: Math
CCLS - Math: A.CED.1
- Creating Equations
- Create Equations That Describe Numbers Or Relationships
- State Standard:
- Create equations and inequalities in one variable and use them to solve problems. Include equations arising from linear and quadratic functions, and simple rational and exponential functions.
- Topic D opens with a hands-on simulation and modeling activity in which students gather data and apply the analysis of Lesson 22 in Topic C to model it with an exponential function (A-CED.2, F-LE.5...
- At the beginning of Topic B, students apply the properties of exponents to solve exponential equations numerically (F-BF.1a) as a way to motivate the need for logarithms, which are first introduced...
- Tables, graphs, and equations all represent models. We use terms such as “symbolic” or “analytic” to refer specifically to the equation form of a function model; “descriptive model” refers to a...
- Students apply their experiences from Topic A as they transform quadratic functions from standard form to vertex form, (x) = a(x - h)2 + k in Topic B. The strategy known as completing the square is...
- Topic A introduces polynomial expressions. In Module 1, students learned the definition of a polynomial and how to add, subtract, and multiply polynomials. Here, their work with multiplication is...
- In Topic D, students apply and reinforce the concepts of the module as they examine and compare exponential, piecewise, and step functions in a real-world context (F-IF.C.9). They create equations...
- In Topic D, students are formally introduced to the modeling cycle (see page 61 of the CCLS) through problems that can be solved by creating equations and inequalities in one variable, systems of...