The NYSESLAT Performance Level Descriptions documents link individual targets of measurement to what ELLs should be able to do at each of the five performance levels:
- Entering (formerly Beginning)
- Emerging (formerly Low Intermediate)
- Transitioning (formerly Intermediate)
- Expanding (formerly Advanced)
- Commanding (formerly Proficient)
Resource files are provided by each modality. In conjunction with the Bilingual Common Core Initiative’s New Language Art Progressions, this resource can be used to help design scaffolded instruction and differentiated assessment to target students at various performance levels, as well as design a scope and sequence to move students along the continuum of language acquisition.