ELA K-2 Professional Development Materials - Day 1
(Go to Day Two Materials: Sessions 6-9)
David Liben discusses the context for the curricular change to P–2 ELA instruction and presents an organizing framework— the Three Pillar Model—for a comprehensive language arts approach which is consistent with the best knowledge we have from research and the intent behind the CCLS standards. In this session: In this session, participants will hear from panel members from CKLA pilot schools will share their experiences working with CKLA. From this panel, participants will be able to:
- Participants will be able to articulate key reasons that language arts curricula must shift within the CCLS context (i.e., will articulate what is meant by “overwhelm” the problem);
- Participants will be able to identify the Three Pillars of a comprehensive ELA program; and
- Participants will be able to accurately identify the purpose of each Pillar in terms of young children’s language arts development.
When downloading this .zip file, you will be downloading the following handouts for Session 1:
- Online Parking Lot (1_Session1_ParkingLot.pdf)
This session will make an explicit link between the CKLA program, the Three Pillar Model, and the CCLS standards. This session will serve as a general orientation to the CKLA program, allowing participants to envision the materials and progression of listening, speaking, reading and writing support provided through the program across K-2. This session will provide participants an opportunity to preview sample materials and make connections between these materials and the standards and six shifts. In this session:
- Participants will be able to name the two strands of CKLA and connect these strands to the Three Pillar Model;
- Participants will identify how CKLA supports writing and the writing process;
- Participants will be able to make connections between the grade level standards for Reading and Word Recognition and the Skills strand;
- Participants will be able to articulate connections between the grade level standards for Writing and the Skills strand; and
- Participants will be able to articulate how the Listening and Learning strand addresses the six shifts.
When downloading this .zip file, you will be downloading the following handouts for Session 2:
- CKLA Reading Trajectory (2_Session2_ReadingTrajectoryPosters.pdf)
- Grade 1 Unit 1 Reader Sample (3_Session2_G1U1Reader_OntheBus_samplestory_twoperv2.pdf)
- Grade 1 Unit 1 Teacher Guide Sample (4_Session2_G1U1TeacherGuide_OntheBus_lesson30.pdf)
- CKLA Writing Trajectory (5_Session2_WritingTrajectoryK-2.pdf)
- Grade 1 Unit 7 Skills Writing Sample (6_Session2_G1U7_SkillsWriting_PersonalNarrative_fromweb.pdf)
- Common Core K–5 ELA Anchors Unpacked (7_Session2_AllAnchors.pdf)
- Learning to Read: The 6 Shifts for K–2 (8_Session2_6Shifts4K2.pdf)
- Annotated Lesson Worksheet (9_Session2_Annotated Lesson WORKSHEET G2_D2_Anth_NYSEDreview.pdf)
- Annotated Lesson Key (10_Session2_Annotated Lesson KEY G2_D2_Anth_NYSEDreview_twoper.pdf)
This session will present best practices and sample model schedules. This session is designed to help answer the two key questions: How do you fit in the CKLA program and still have time for guided accountable independent reading? What should Guided Reading and Guided Accountable Independent Reading look like for me? In this session:
- Participants will identify best practices around scheduling and the rationale behind these practices;
- Participants will articulate one or two key strategies within model classroom schedules that support ‘fitting it all in’; and
- Participants will identify their key priorities for Guided Reading and Guided Accountable Independent Reading.
When downloading this .zip file, you will be downloading the following handouts for Session 3:
- CKLA Sample Schedules (11_Session3_SampleSchedules.pdf)
- Blank Scheduling Template (12_Session3_blank schedule.pdf)
- The Intersection of the Goals of Instruction and Language Arts Components (13_Session3_settingpriorities.pdf)
This session is designed to give participants a deeper understanding of the guiding instructional design principles around which the Listening and Learning domains and lessons were created. The three key principles include:
- Background knowledge is essential to strong comprehension.
- Vocabulary learning is most efficient when it is content-based, contextualized, and constant.
- The connection between oral and written language development must be supported.
In this session:
- Participants will be able to articulate how the domain structure of the Listening and Learning strand supports children’s comprehension and background knowledge;
- Participants will be able identify at least two or three ways the Listening and Learning materials support vocabulary learning; and
- Participants will be able to identify connections between the oral language support provided within the Listening and Learning strand and student writing.
When downloading this .zip file, you will be downloading the following handouts for Session 4:
- Filling in Gaps: What Do You Know? (14_Session4_WhatDoYouKnow.pdf)
- Listening & Learning Sequence Connections (15_Session4_L&LSequence.pdf)
- Kings and Queens Read-Aloud Sample (16_session4_kingqueenreadaloud_two.pdf)
- Kings and Queens Word Web (17_session4_kingqueenWordWeb.pdf)
- Blank Word Web Template (18_session4_Blank Vocabulary Template_Legal.pdf)
This session will provide participants a demonstration of a CKLA lesson by a Master Teacher will provide participants time to try out a sample lesson as a means of furthering their skills in implementing the materials. In this session:
- Participants will be able to identify the parts of the Listening and Learning lesson;
- Participants will identify the difference between a scripted versus guided lesson plan format; and
- Participants will gain skill in conducting pieces of the Listening and learning lesson.
When downloading this .zip file, you will be downloading the following handouts for Session 5:
- Ray Charles Lesson Sample (19_session5_RaycharlesTG.pdf)
- Ray Charles Flip Book Sample (20_session5_RaycharlesFB.pdf)
(Go to Day Two Materials: Sessions 6-9)