Search Within Results
Common Core: Standard
Common Core: ELA
Common Core: Math
CCLS - ELA: SL.5.1
- Speaking & Listening
- Comprehension and Collaboration
- State Standard:
- Engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions (one-on-one, in groups, and teacher-led) with diverse partners on grade 5 topics and texts, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly.
- DRAFTING INDIVIDUAL READERS THEATER SCRIPTS FOR A SPECIFIC SCENE: NARROWING TEXT FOR OUR READERS THEATER SCRIPTS In advance: Have students’ UDHR category cards and Esperanza Rising novels, with...
- LAUNCHING READERS THEATER GROUPS: IDENTIFYING PASSAGES FROM ESPERANZA RISING FOR READERS THEATER THAT CONNECT TO THE UDHR Prepare for Teacher Model (use pages 46-47 from Esperanza Rising) Note that...
- READERS THEATER AND THE UDHR Students spent all of Unit 2 reading Esperanza Rising, “first draft reading” of all chapters for homework, and more careful study of specific passages from each chapter...
- NARRATIVES AS THEATER: ESPERANZA RISING, FROM NOVEL TO SCRIPT Students spent all of Unit 2 reading Esperanza Rising: “first draft reading” of all chapters for homework, and more careful study of...
- GATHERING EVIDENCE AND DRAFTING A TWO-VOICE POEM (CHAPTER 13: “LOS DURAZNOS/PEACHES”) During Lessons 13 and 14, students work with the last two chapters of the novel, but with less teacher support....
- CONTRASTING TWO SETTINGS (CHAPTER 6: “LOS MELONES/CANTALOUPES”) This lesson begins to introduce students to the idea of central metaphors (or symbols) in the novel. This purpose links directly to RL....
- GETTING TO KNOW ESPERANZA (CHAPTER 2: “LAS UVAS/GRAPES”) This lesson introduces a new small group structure: Triad Talk. These reading and discussion groups will be used throughout the study of...
- Close Reading: Becoming Experts on Specific Articles of the UDHR This lesson builds directly on Lesson 6. Students use the Close Reading protocol with increasing independence to build and share...
- Close Reading: “Unpacking” Specific Articles of the UDHR In this lesson and Lesson 7, students will become “experts” on 11 specific Articles from the UDHR. These Articles were chosen specifically...
- Building Background: A Short History of Human Rights Display learning targets on board, chart paper, or document camera Cut one copy of The Short History of Human Rights handout into 8 sentence...
- Building Background Knowledge on Human Rights: Close Reading of Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) This lesson includes many simple protocols or “routines” that support...
- Becoming a Close Reader and Writing to Learn: Stories of Human Rights What are human rights, and how do real people and fictional characters respond when those rights are challenged? Students will...